️Let’s talk #pullups , one of my faves for a minute.. ️
Pull-ups are hands down one of the best exercises for developing your back and increasing your overall fitness level.
I absolutely love them because they’re old-school, basic, and a natural movement pattern of humans. If you’re looking to improve your pull-ups or are simply working toward your first unassisted one, I’ve found these to be extremely helpful and have implemented with the clients and athletes I’ve trained over the last decade.
1. Negatives/jumping pull-ups. Great tool for beginners. Use at beginning of workout if you’re working toward your first pull-up or add on a few sets of 3-5 reps w/ a 3 count negative at the end of a regular set as forced reps if you’re looking to increase reps.
2. Band assisted (skip the dang machine!) Also another great one for beginners, wrap a long band around the bar and band goes under foot. Focus on good form, FULL extension and no swinging. Options to use different weights bands or more than one at a time. And an easy/cheap thing to throw in your gym bag if your gym doesn’t have them.
3. TRX modified pull-ups, can easily change the angle and grip to target different muscles in the back, biceps and forearms. Easy to practice muscle endurance with as you can continue past failure by backing feet up and easing up on the angle. Great for at home!
4. Starting with a neutral or underhand grip will be easier for most ! Something to keep in mind as well as you want to progress.
5. Use pauses at the top
6. Do heavy lat pull-downs with great form
7. Frequency...last but not least, perform a pull-up variation AT LEAST once a week if you’re looking to improve. Want to get better at the movement?? Need to actually practice the movement, not just train every other back exercise and hope and pray it helps.
️ I notice that for myself pull-ups, although a bodyweight movement, are like most other lifts in that if I take too much time off not getting in at least a few sets a week or every other, I will lose 2-4 pull-ups off of my max easily.
Still stuck between 15-17 but not losing site of that 20 rep max! #goals 😬🏼
-Photo by @costaphotography at @theshopgym - 9 minutes ago