After the spinal tap, apnea continued to worsen...my ability to breathe on my own was lessening by the minute. Many tests later, yet before the morning shift change, decision was made to get me down for an MRI to see if there was bleeding on my brain. They got me moved into an open crib for transport, but as soon as they snuggled me in with warm blankets for the trip, I lost the ability to breathe on my own. The MRI machine was on opposite side of the hospital, and the crib isn’t temp controlled like the isolette.
They had to make a new plan and intubate immediately. I was also given two loading doses of phenobarbital, a seizure medication that sedated me.
I was not stable enough to be transported all the way to MRI machine & after many calls because it was early morning on a Sunday, they were able to get someone to come over to the children’s hospital & run the pediatric CT machine so I only needed to be moved one building over. We found a lot of underground tunnels here. Look at how many nurses it took just to get me into the CT machine!
As soon as we got back to the room, they began hooking me up to the EEG for more monitoring, still not knowing what we were up against. ***Picture #4 is Dr. Baiba Steinbrekera, the neonatologist that so diligently observed my every move from the time I was admitted & I believed saved my life because she noticed the seizures & pushed for the spinal tap and other tests to be done so quickly. - 2 hours ago