Japan Trip Day 7 - Gero
1. Last leg in Takayama, we went to their morning market again to get some bites and visited the Hida Kokubun-ji before we board the train the Gero.
2. Gero is an onsen town which located an hour away from Takayama. The quality of their water has been rated one of the three best in Japan.
3. It is a quiet small town with numerous ryokans. We chose Gero Onsen Fugaku due to the personalised service provided. They offer station shuttle service, kaiseki dinner and breakfast in the room. Aside from indoor and outdoor onsen, all guest is allowed to book the private onsen for 45mins so that you can enjoy your own sweet time in the private onsen.
4. As the town is famous with onsen, therefore the onsen egg is definitely their specialty. We went to Yuamiya dessert shop which famous with their onsen egg soft serve. So you mixed the onsen egg with the soft serve and cereal, top up with the cherry sauce. Although is a weird combination, but it was surprisingly good, definitely worth a try. We also had their hot onsen egg pudding with caramel sauce, it was really good 🏼 there is a foot bath inside the shop, so you can enjoy the foot bath while having your lovely dessert.
5. We went to the onsen museum as well, most of the explanation is in Japanese so I barely understand the story behind it. But, there is a foot bath in the museum which you can have a rest.
6. We then went back to the ryokan to enjoy the private onsen and dinner. As this is a small town, there is not much entertainment at night. Most of the restaurant open from 11am-2pm, then 5pm-10pm. So please get your stomach fixed within the timeframe - 9 days ago