Let's talk about almond flour today Almond flour is one of the main ingredients used for making macarons. From my own experience so far, the finer the ground almonds are, the better results you will get When I started baking macarons, I never paid attention to the colour, or the smell, or even the taste of ground almonds, but with time I realised, this is something to look out for actually. I have tried several different brands already and have found a distinctive difference between them all. If you live in UK, I hope this will be useful and I would also appreciate if you could share what brand of ground almonds you use I always like testing new brands, so any of your recommendations are welcome So let's take a look at the below brands:
- ALDI ground almonds - these are blanched, grainy (not that fine), they have a strong taste and smell. Also these are pretty yellowish in colour, there are some black bits. You get 150 grams for £1.39.
- ASDA grounds almonds - these are fine with bigger grains, they have a pleasant taste and smell, light beige colour. There may be some black bits. You get 100 grams for £1.38 or 200g for £1.98.
- POUNDLAND ground almonds - these are grainy, but the taste and smell are pleasant, nice beige colour. You get 140 grams for £1.
- TESCO ground almonds - these are one of my favourites, pleasant smell and taste, beautiful beige colour. They are finely ground, but I some batches contain bigger grains. Almost none black bits. You get either 100 grams for £1.30 or 200 grams for £ 2.30.
- HOLLAND & BARRETT ground almonds - these are one of my favourites too, they are finely milled, pleasant smell and taste, beautiful beige colour. Almost none black bits. You get 350 grams for £5.59.
- TRS almond powder - these are my least favourite, they are pretty grainy even though the packaging says almond powder. The smell and taste are strong and the these are very yellow and pretty wet too. You get 400 grams for £4.40.
- GOODNUTS ground almonds - ordered from Amazon UK, returned it back as the colour was grey, there were lots of black bits and also it was contaminated, do not recommend! You get 700 gramms for £13.98. - 1 day ago