So, we're back to a MHA topic, it's been a dog's age. OK, today is gonna be me praising my favourite arc: The Sports Festival!!!
OK, so I'll say it. Normally, I hate the "Tournament Arc" trope because it's little more than hype at seeing two characters dick around when they normally wouldn't without anything really happening. And trust me, I've read enough of that in Marvel comics after 2005, but this arc surprised me by making me a fan of this show.
It solidified my interest in the show with the themes of heroes, rivalries and legacy.
So, starting off was the pre-tourney race which pretty much split the characters into teams and it was refreshing. Main reason? It grounded the characters' power levels AND helps build character!!! Too often, I've seen characters pull stuff out of their ass for a convenient win or have their personalities so mangled that it's a wonder the writers even know their names.
* My favourite example of this in the pre-tourney race was Todoroki being unstoppable by freezing practically everyone in his path and making short work of the robots. He's determined, powerful and has a reason to be there, not planning on anyone stopping him at all.
* This leads to a cool moment for Deku, being able to move when the robots come tumbling down whereas last time, he was frozen with terror. The boy doesn't even use his Quirk, showing his intelligence by using a piece of debris as a shield and a mine detector, amazing! * And of course, there's the skill in which the other students rush past the bots, which was developed by last arc's USJ attack.
There are high stakes involved, especially between Deku, Kacchan and Todoroki:
* All Might realising his power is waning and as such, tells Deku straight up that he needs to be the Symbol Of Peace and impress people in the matches.
* Bakugou's drive and entitlement can be attributed to his humiliation in the last arc.
* Todoroki wants to win with only his ice to prove a point to Endeavour and this is a welcome change of pace as he wasn't really seen much last arc, helping to develop his tormented character.
And I can't say this enough, the fights aren't just for fighting sake, I'll get into that next postcode. - 45 minutes ago