Caleb last night when he got home from work: “so what did you have for dinner tonight?”. Me: “potatoes and cake”. #ItsFunnyBecauseItsTrue Sometimes you just feel like eating sweet potato fries and the last of your freezer carrot cake and you just gotta go with it, know what I mean? 🤔
GF carrot cake Details:
* 10 ounces pitted dates
* ½ Cup hot water
* 3 eggs
* ½ Cup coconut or olive oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup shredded carrots
* 1 ½ cups all purpose Gluten Free flour
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon
* ½ teaspoon nutmeg (plus a pinch of ginger and allspice. Optional)
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* ½ teaspoon salt
* 1 cup walnuts, chopped
* 5 oz pitted dates
* ¼ Cup hot water
* 8 oz package cream cheese (at room temperature)
* ½ tsp vanilla extract
* ⅛ tsp sea salt
* 1 Tbsp almond milk
* Sprinkle of cinnamon
For the cake:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line bottom of 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
3. Place pitted dates in a bowl and cover with hot water, set aside for 10 minutes.
4. In a food processor, blend the soaked dates and water until smooth.
5. Add the eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla to the food processor and blend until well combined and the batter starts to lighten in color.
6. In a separate bowl, combine carrots, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg (and other spices), baking soda, baking powder, salt, and walnuts.
7. Pour the egg and date mixture into the dry ingredients and fold to combine.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20-25 min (check with a toothpick)
9. Cool the cake completely
Make the frosting:
1. Place the pitted dates in a bowl and cover with hot water, set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In a food processor, blend the soaked dates and water until smooth.
3. With the food processor running, add chunks of cream cheese one at a time.
4. Once the cream cheese is well combined, add the vanilla, cinnamon, salt and almond milk. Blend until fully combined.
5. Once the cake is completely cooled, frost with the icing (you can cut the cake in half to stack with icing in between the layers or leave it flat with all the icing on top)
6. Chill in fridge for 30 min - 0 seconds