SIMPLE AND QUICK RED LENTIL SOUP, need I say more? Tested one of the meals my grandpa made for me whilst in Sweden, and it worked out perfectly, meaning that I can, as promised, finally share the recipe for this hearty and nourishing soup. It comes together in about 40 minutes (chopping and all) and requires only a couple of very basic ingredients. Hope you like it as much as I do
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion chopped finely
4 medium potatoes diced into 3/4 inch pieces
1/2 leek chopped finely
1/4 C + 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
5 C vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground cumin (optional)
1 C red lentils
3 handfuls spinach roughly chopped
A few squeezes of lemon juice (optional)
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and onion, and reduce heat to medium low.
2. Fry onion for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, then add potatoes, leek, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, salt and cumin (if using). Stir well and increase heat to medium-high.
3. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Once the 10 minutes have passed, add the lentils, cover again, and cook for another 20 minutes.
5. Uncover the pot, stir in the spinach and simmer for another 2 minutes or so.
6. Finally remove from heat and, optionally, add a few squeezes of lemon juice.
7. Enjoy! - 14 days ago