It’s World Turtle Day! 🌎
Here are 5 awesome facts about one of our favourite animals:
1. Turtles date back to the time of the dinosaurs, over 200 million years ago
2. Just like our bones, a turtles shell is actually part of its skeleton. This is made up of over 50 bones which include the turtles rib cage and spine
3. Contrary to popular belief, a turtle cannot come out of its shell. The turtles shell grows with them, so it’s impossoble for them to grow too big!
4. Some turtles are carnivores (meat eaters), others are herbivores (plant eaters) and some are omnivores (a mixture of both). Many baby turtles start life as carnivores but grow to eat more plants as they mature. How very conscious of them
5. Sadly, many species of turtle are endangered, 129 of approximately 300 species of turtle are either vulnerable, endangered or critically endangered. And just one single piece of plastic can kill them
Let’s try help our beloved turtles stay alive and happy by reducing plastic pollution today.
Stats sourced from natgeokids - 2 hours ago