"Mommy, can we make an apple pie? I really think I would like to eat one" - Cooper "Let's do it"- Mommy
I have worked too hard to ruin all my progress in one weekend. I am not allergic to gluten but it sure makes me feel awful. So I am going to make this pie again. I made it a few years back and going to try it again. It was delicious back then and hope it goes well again. Check it out!
Ingredients for the crust:
3 cups almond flour
1 cup arrowroot powder, plus more for dusting
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar , plus more for sprinkling
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
4 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the filling:
3 pounds apples (about 8-10 medium)
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
NOTE: You will need aluminum foil, parchment paper, and a pie pan
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot, coconut sugar, and salt. Stir to combine with a whisk.
3. Cut the butter into smaller chunks (I thought cold chunks of butter weird but it worked out) and add it to the dry mixture. Cut it in with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs. It takes a bit to break them all up.
4. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks and vanilla and whisk to combine. (See my video on how to separate yolk and whites will post it tomorrow on my page so come back)
5. In another small bowl, lightly beat the egg whites. Set aside. You’re saving them to brush on the crust. (See my video on how to separate yolk and whites will post it tomorrow on my page so come back)
6. Add the wet ingredients (NOT the egg whites, remember you set those aside for later) to the dry, and stir / cut in until incorporated.
7. Gather the dough into 2 balls and form into disk type shapes. Remember this crust will try and fall apart thats ok the disks don't have to be pretty. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. (meanwhile, prepare the apple filling, below)
Rest recipe comments
#thanksgiving - 5 hours ago