🌎🌳Happy Earth Day!⚘🌎
“Out of the rack and ruin of our gangster death,
The rape and rot of graft, and stealth, and lies,
We, the people, must redeem
The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers
The mountains and the endless plain –
All, all the stretch of these great green states –
And make America again!
– Langston Hughes
All of us should care about the earth...in particular Black and Brown people. Some of you may ask, why should we care about Earth Day? Well for starters, every day is Earth Day when you face environmental issues like many people of color do. Environmentalism is as much about the environment as it is a social and economic issues.
Many neighborhood environmental issues are unfortunately a given. Flint's lead water problem is STILL an issue today. Many communities were built on land where there is environmental pollution. 🏞 What can we do as Black and Brown people this Earth Day and every day to fight against eco-racism and for environmental justice where we live?
1. Fight Food Injustice/Apartheid in your neighborhood. Support local community gardens 🍋🥬and if there aren't any...start one or try to grow your own food. Bring awareness and fight for our right to access healthy, organic, wholesome🥗 and local food in our stores.
2. Speak up when there is an environmental issue in your neighborhood. Do not allow waste dumping, cell phone towers, aviation paths 🛩 or other environmental hazards in your neighborhood. 🏘 Write to your politicians and protest. Push for the testing of soil, water and air. 🏞
3. Compost and advocate for more garbage collection and recycling cans. Let's keep our neighborhoods clean.
4. Plant a tree🌳...grow houseplants...they clean the air and create a peaceful environment.
5. Start a "green" business 🚜 or organization.
6. Advocate for more green spaces and parks.🏕
7. Support STEM🔬 in our schools and encourage our youth to explore careers in these areas.
#earthday2019 #mandlgarden #foodjustice #environment #ecoracism #environmentaljustice #wholesomefood #organicfood #plantatree #compost #plants #flowers #blackpeople #brownpeople #allpeople #socialissues #langstonhughes - 21 minutes ago