WHAT BREAKS A FAST & WHAT DOESN’T? Any form of calories will technically break a fast. Consuming fat (coconut oil, MCT oil, or exogenous ketones) in your fasting window will shift your body from burning body fat to burning dietary fat, and while it may not kick you out of ketosis, it will break a fast. The question is —> are you fasting for insulin sensitivity & ketosis OR are you fasting for AUTOPHAGY, LONGEVITY, RESETING YOUR MICROBIOME, and increasing STEM CELL production? If you answer is the latter then keep your supplements IN you eating window and OUT of the fasting window. If your goal is to up-regulate autophagy:
WATER Fasting promotes the highest levels during hour 24-48+ during a fast. The only allowed things during this window are Water, minerals, @redmondrealsalt Electrolytes: Potassium, Magnesium, etc. (with no added sugars), Sparkling Mineral Water, and a Toxin Binder (Highly recommended due to the high amount of modern environmental toxins that can be stored in the body and released during times of fasting). The purpose of a true water fast is to let the body run its own course and utilize its own stores to rebuild and restore the mind, body, and spirit.
However, daily, or alternate day fasting 14-24 hours —-> can still amplify autophagy (when mTOR is low) but not to the extent that a prolonged water or dry fast (24 hr +) can. There are a few things that you can enhance your short term fast (<24 hrs) that may make it easier to manage —> improve mood, energy, hydration, and focus without breaking your fast.
1. NAD, NR, or NMN @truniagen NAD+, @thorneresearch
2. Organic Teas: ie. Green Tea Crystals, @piquetea
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
4. Organic Black Coffee
5. Nootropics: Lions Mane, Tryptophan, L-theanine, L-Tyrosine, Ginkgo Biloba @foursigmatic
6. Minerals, Mineral Water, Electrolytes (added sugars).
7. Spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) What will break a fast:
1. Omega 3 supplements or any supplements containing calories
2. MCT Oil
4. Electrolytes with added sugars
5. BCAA’s (L-Leucine spikes Insulin)
6. Exogenous Ketones
7. Any creamers (ie. bulletproof coffee)
8. Bone Broth/Collagen - 10 hours ago